Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Equivalent Exchange

Something I've come to realize more recently is that I love symbolic art. Geometric shapes and patterns interwoven with symbolic meaning fascinate. For example, the cover to Nintendo's Hyrule Historia features a circular pattern that contains elements which are symbolically relevant to the Zeldarian lore.

Recently, I finished watching Fullmetal Alchemist the original series, and quite enjoyed it. I particularly liked the artist, yet highly structured and geometric patterns of the transmutation circles, and decided to draw one. However, I wanted to make something that was more than simply a cool pattern, but symbolically relevant, as well. So, given the stress placed on the concept of "Equivalent Exchange" throughout the series, I designed a transmutation circle that incorporates elements of the Christian faith, and scriptures which talk about the exchange made for us in the form of Christ's death on the cross.

I first created the circle and text with a pencil, then traced over that with a Faber-Castell india ink pen. Unfortunately, I didn't have any of my inks with my at college, so I had to settle for some red calligraphy ink I picked up at the college bookstore, which is much brighter and less bloody-looking than I would have liked. I may go over it in a darker ink if the opportunity presents itself.


"Equivalent Exchange"

3 comments:

  1. Woah. The pen made it absolutely amazing. I think the blood looks great. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. And yeah, I think the blood looks great as it is.

    ReplyDelete