Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sketches

I've come to realize that I have something of a psychological aversion to drawing mundane objects. When I sit down to draw, I think "what should I draw?" Too often I decide that drawing a household object that I can actually observe would be too boring, and I end up trying to draw a dragon, or a boat, or something more exciting. However, I've found that when I do actually find something and draw it from real life, the actual process of drawing it is far more satisfying, and the result is usually a whole lot better. I think in the future I'm going to make more of an effort to get over that mental speed bump, and make myself work from real life. Here are a couple sketches I did of objects from real life over the past couple of days.



Okay, I admit it. I added the nails afterward, here, and just drew them from my imagination.


With this drawing, I was trying to use exclusively hatching to convey tone.
Also, that smudging on the glass was supposed to be a glare from the off-frame
light source, but I'm not sure how well it came out.

1 comment:

  1. The nails are awesome and old looking. You did a great job shading the lantern. I like the reflection on the glass.
    I find that working with real objects helps to ingrain basic forms, so it's easier to draw without pictures.

    ReplyDelete