Thursday, January 23, 2014

Elsa Meets Rand Al'Thor

So recently I have both been reading The Wheel of Time series, and I saw Frozen. Minor spoilers for both following. Right from the beginning, Elsa's out-of-control magical abilities made me think of the male Aes Sedai from The Wheel of Time. I love the concept of the "good" character struggling to reign in their capabilities for mass destruction. At the end, though, Elsa somehow manages to get a handle on her powers through love, and everyone lives happily ever after. I was intrigued, though, by the thought of Elsa perhaps falling towards the other extreme. What if, rather than everything turning out alright, Elsa snapped? What if she decided she was done with it all, and in an Ender Wiggen-esque scene, embraced the tainted sweetness of Saidin, and just totally trashed everything? I'm not saying it would have made a better story, but the idea sparked in me the interest of drawing the Elsa from this scene–the  one who has shattered her shackles, and is now going to bring down the entire castle, and completely let loose her pent-up frustration in a torrent of wrath and destruction.

From an artistic point of view, I need to make two comments. Her teeth were hard, and her hair was fun. Her hair was actually a ton of fun to draw. I started by toning the paper with powder from my 4B graphite stick shaved off with a knife blade. Because of that, most of the "drawing" involved with Elsa's hair was actually done with my eraser, and by combining that and touch-ups with the pencil to bring out some contrast, I had quite a bit of fun with it, and I think it turned out pretty well. Her mouth, on the other hand . . . It still looks just a bit off to me. Maybe later I'll try to fix it, but I've spent a whole lot of time messing with it at this point and I don't know if there's much I can do. My last note would be that I'm very pleased with the sense of drama the high-contrast lighting provided. I was really hoping that by putting her on such a dark background, illuminated by the sphere of magic, it would add a sense of dramatic impetus, and I think it did.

4 comments:

  1. That is seriously disturbing and really cool. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jacob, disturbing but cool. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have to be anonymous, but I got it. =P It's Lion. And that is really awesome and creepy.

    ReplyDelete