Thursday, September 26, 2013

Art from Experience

Ernest Hemingway once said that “In order to write about life first you must live it.” I think that this modification is equally true: "In order to draw about life first you must live it." I think artists should count even the most difficult times as blessings, because from them we grow, and the pool of experience from which we can draw inspiration widens and deepens. In this drawing I've tried to reflect not some far-off dream or ideal, but the feelings and emotions I've personally experienced–and I hope that because of my more personal connection with the piece, it will give viewers a more personal connection as well.


(Also, a thanks to Will Kelly who turned me on to Bridgman's work, which I think really helped me with the anatomical structure of the hands here)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, great job. It's a pretty strong (and depressing) image. (And it reminds me of the end of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You drew the hands perfectly. I totally agree with the premise. Actually this picture reminds me of one I did recently as an expression of my anxiety with the world.

    ReplyDelete